Feb 5, 2009

What should I do? I'm worried...

I received a note from the teacher stating that my son Chris is always needing to use the restroom. I think they feel he is using that to get out of class for a bit. But Chris has always needed to use the restroom more frequently than my other 2 sons. Apparently, he needed to go twice in a two hour period, that does not sound that outrageous to me.


However knowing that I have diabetes, I know that my kids are at a 30% increased chance of having diabetes compared to kids whose parents do not have diabetes, so I am always on the look out for signs of this. I have tested my husband and all three of my kids to make sure that they are where they should be. Sometimes, when we have eaten the same thing, I will test them to see how my BG compares to that of a "normal" person.


This morning, I decided to test Chris again since I have not for some time. He was fasting and had just woken up. I am concerned because his BG was 114. I know this is not an alarming number, but it seems very high when they diagnose diabetes at 124. My husband and 2 other sons are always in the 80's or low 90's. Is this major cause of concern? My first thought is to schedule an apt. with the dr. and request a glucose tolerance test. I just feel I really need to act now so that 2 or more years down the road, he does not end up with diabets.

2 comments:

Allison said...

Well, if he's in the process of getting type 1 diabetes, he'll get it a lot sooner than 2 years. I think you should schedule a test. It's better to be safe than sorry. I don't think a 114 mg/dl is anything to worry about, but I also think it would be better to find out before he gets sick from the symptoms. I had a friend who was diagnosed with a 154 mg/dl (he was 5 years old, so it wasn't type 2!).

Kassie said...

If he doesn't mind fingersticks, I'd do one 1/2 an hour to an hour after a high carb meal, or juice, or regular soda.

Another option is to get some glucostix and check his urine for glucose. Much less invasive. My son actually checked himself for ketones the day he was diagnosed because he'd been up overnight peeing (he had them, bu they cleared up later in the day).

If he hates having you check his blood sugar, take him to the ped so that they can be the bad guys with the invasive stuff.

Have you thought about enrolling him in a Trialnet study? That screening could tell you alot more than the pediatrician could. Not sure how long it takes to get results though.