Sep 28, 2007

Confusion

All I know is that must be really hard for our loved ones to understand us as people with Diabetes. I know I confuse my husband on a daily basis.
On one hand, I want him to be supportive of my healthy choices and I want him to understand this disease. I want him to encourage me to eat right and get to the gym especially when I know I may be faltering at times. (Not at the moment though) :) I am being good and it really bothers me if he offers me candy or cake. I say to myself, "Hello, you know I am diabetic, are you trying to kill me?" of course this is me, being dramatic.
But, on the flip side, when I want to have that occasional indulgence, I don't want to hear him say, "Susie, you really should not have that, what will this do to your blood sugar?" Because then, I feel guilty if I do decide to treat myself. But, sometimes I feel entitled to give myself a little treat. I feel like it is not that bad if I have a couple of cookies after a day of watching my meals, many finger-pricks, and just having to think about this disease.
The thing is that I leave my poor husband confused. The same pretty much happens at work too. Now that I have "come out" of the diabetes closet at work, people comment if THEY think I may be having something a diabetic should not have. I was having a peach! Do you feel the same?

No comments: