Apr 18, 2008

Does Diabetes afftect how you take days off in the workplace?

How do you handle your Paid Time off days from work?

I never really thought about this before, but I heard some co-workers discussing how people should use days off whether it is considered vacation days, sick days, or just PTO (paid time off).
One co-worker is not really wanting to use more than a couple of days for vacation because if she got sick she wants her days for that. I can understand that we need to be responsible and try to save some of our days for sickness. But, this person also made a comment, that if you are "sick" or have a chronic problem then you should really save your time for that.

This bothers me. I consider myself to be healthy despite diabetes. I am eating healthy and exercising 4-5 times a week. I don't think I get sick any more than a non-diabetic person. I work full-time and I NEED my vacation time. I need it for me. I need it to re-connect with my husband and kids. It is our time when we are together away from the demands of the world.

I don't know if I will be sick later this year. I take care of myself. I cannot predict the future. But, do I not deserve to use my vacation time as vacation time? Or should I be conserving my days for possible sickness???

1 comment:

Araby62 (a.k.a. Kathy) said...

It's tricky, and I think a lot depends on the job/industry you're in. For example I've worked in nonprofits most of my life and they are far more flexible & tolerant about taking time off. But I just had to call in sick this week due to a combination of Real People Sick/high blood sugar, and though my boss was cool with it she's really more like most for-profit business owners and doesn't like people using sick OR vacation time. At all!

In my view it's not fair for anyone to use vacation time in place of sick time. I've rarely exceeded my accrued sick days, but when I have I've taken unpaid time off rather than waste vacation days. Vacation is supposed to be a break, and besides giving the employee time to rest it also gives the boss/employer a chance to check up on their work while they're away.

I think your coworkers have a bad attitude. In their view it seems no one with a chronic illness is entitled to vacations!