Apr 9, 2008

Why is this??!!??

OK, yesterday I forgot my medicine when I went to work.

My blood sugars held pretty steady all day. Two hours after lunch, my blood sugar was 108-which I thought was Awesome! Of course, I made sure to eat a very low carb garden salad with grilled chicken. I had a 3 o clock snack, as me and my co-workers usually do each day for a 20 minute chat and snack (as we call it). I had sugar free jello.

When I got home, I tested and bg was 84. I needed to work out and I was very hungry so I had about 8 ritz crackers and 1 slice of american cheese and headed off to a very INTENSE work out. I mean it when I say intense. We had a different personal trainer this session, and let's just say he worked my a__ off! I tested after the work out and my blood sugar was 189. What could have happened? Could it be that I was stressed since it was an intense workout? Or I wonder if it was not having medicine all day that finally caught up to me. I usually drop by 40-60 points on the norm whenever I exercise.

I went home and took my evening dose of pills and had a lean hamburger patty and 1/2 cup of white rice (my favorite). Two hours later I was at 100-which is fine for me.

2 comments:

Wingman said...

You may have spiked because the workout was more intesnse than usual, if you got into an anerobic condiition your body produces more cortisol as it prepares for stress/ shock which naturally raises blood sugar.

Glad I could help!!!!!

..M.. said...

Just as wingman says - a more intense workout can raise your BGs just when you expect to go down.

Also if those crackers took you up higher than you'd expected that could do it too - once you're already a little high it's a lot harder to go down and real easy to go up!

Could have also been a delayed effect from missing your meds earlier.

Or perhaps a group effect from all three things.